6.01.2010

DIY Decor: the Bathroom

First, confession: I am a bad blogger. Six weeks and no posts. Sheesh. And the sad part is that I have been crafting, so I have lots of things to blog about. Maybe that is the problem: I have been crafting (and teaching and building a house and being a wife/mom) instead of blogging. But as of this afternoon, I am FREE from school for two glorious months, so I will try my best to do better.

And so, here is a super cute, super easy accessory I whipped up for Avery's new bathroom. (I just want to say that I am thirty and have NEVER had my own bathroom. Avery is getting one at four. Good grief.) So here's what I made...

Cute, right? I just painted polka dots on a $5 soap dispenser from Tar-jay. I know you're thinking, "Really? That's blog worthy?" Well, I'll admit it is simple, but it's the process, not so much the product I wanted to share.

How do you get perfect polka dots when you can't trace or predraw (because of the slick surface)? I used to have some little circle foam brushes, but they were no where to be found. And I figured they would leave a texture I wasn't after. So I looked for something else. And looked. And then I found...


Yep, a hot glue stick. Round, firm enough to not spread, flexible enough to get an even image on the round bottle. I just dipped the end in paint, and stamped it on. I need to go back and fill in a few of the polka dots, but that will require mixing some colors, so I'll wait until I have some more painting to do.

I really like how it turned out. I have no idea how well it will hold up, but since it took me all of ten minutes, I figure it won't be a big deal if I have to redo it after awhile.

And just to give you a sense of the direction I'm going in Avery's suite (as the builder calls it), here are the washcloths we picked up at Homegoods.


We went to buy a quilt for her room, and when she saw these washcloths she said, "Mommy, wouldn't these look wonderful in my new bathroom?" (Yes, that's how she said it. She's 4 going on 17.) She was right, of course, as they are a perfect match for the other decor. Love them!

So that's one project blogged. I have several others to share in the next few days, and will likely have more after Suzanne and I get back from our trip to Textile Fabric tomorrow! Michael Miller, Moda, Heather Bailey, Amy Butler...Yay!



0 comments:

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails