6.13.2009

May Craft Challenge

craft challenge



It's that time again! Heidi over at Blue Eyed Blessings has challenged us all to create something with a monogram. Well, anyone who knows me knows I love a monogram, so this was pretty easy for me.

First, a couple of older projects.

Remember the playhouse? The inside is finally coming together. I still need to make curtains (if I could ever decide on a style), and I need to make a cushion for the window seat, but that foam is ridiculously expensive! But here is the art I made last summer, finally hung over the bookcase that I love. We're slowly filling it up.








The backgrounds are painted, the details are mostly paper but also have dimensional elements such as the flowers and ribbon on the "A" canvas. LOVE them!!!

Next is Avery's outfit for her birthday party. I made the pillowcase dress, but someone else did the embroidery. Just goes to show you how a simple initial can really dress up an outfit.

I don't know if you would technically call this next one a monogram since it's a whole name, but I like it and I've never blogged about it, and this seems like a good post to put it in. These plaques are over Ave's bed:

The gingham is painted with a glass paint to keep it translucent and the letters are wooden ones from Michael's glued on. No one knew what Avery's name was going to be until she was born, but I knew if we didn't hang those suckers prior to her arrival her would never get hung. So, we hung them to get the placement and the nails in and whatnot, then took them down and hid them. Kyle went home for a couple of hours to feed the dog while she was in the nursery getting cleaned up and all, and the first thing he did was hang her letters! I thought that was so sweet.

Okay. New projects. My grandmother found these chairs for $5 at RiteAid, and bought all they had (three). We put one on the playhouse porch, but didn't have room for the others. So...I took them to the in-law's patio so Avery would have a place to sit when wwe're over there for cookouts and things. A little vinyl and my Cricut, and now Avery and her cousin Kaylee each have their own seats.

And finally, my favorite thing I've crafted in a while...

How stinkin' cute is that?! I think it's called a "sports tumbler" and I'm thinking it's by Playtex. I just cut the monogram out of pink vinyl (it's the mini monogram cart) and stuck it on. I also cut a strip with a rotary cutter and added it to the top for a little extra color. The possibilities for this one are endless. I wanted to add a green octopus to Avery's purple cup for our trip to the aquarium, but ran out of time. It held up really well to a gentle wash (no scrubby sponge!), but if it gets worn out I can easily peel it off and cut another one. You'll have to ask someone with a dishwasher if it holds up in the dishwasher :).

So did I rise to the challenge Heidi?! I can't wait for the next one. Nothing like a little crafting accountability to keep the creative juices flowing. And now back to my regualrly scheduled laundry....

5 comments:

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Um, yes! Of course you arose to the challenge! I'm impressed, but knowing what I have seen so far on your blog, I would expect nothing less. ;)

I have to say that I'm IN LOVE with the art you created for the play house. Seriously!? I'm thinking this is going to look great in M's room. ;) I need more detail because I want to copy!!!

GREAT IDEA with the vinyls...you're really making me want a Cricut! I like that you put them on the plastic seats.

Thank you so much for joining us, Heather! So inspiring!!

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Your projects are SUPER cute!! I love the chairs! Such a simple thing to do, but it makes them look so cute! The cup is really cute too...you are making me want a cricut even more than I already did!
Thanks for commenting on my crafts! I have seen where people have done the shirts with a straight stich around the edge of the applique and just let the material fray. They look really cute that way too... so maybe you could try it that way!

~Bobbi~ said...

All your crafts this month were delightful and creative! I never knew people could monogram tumblers. ;) Wowee. I learn something everyday!

Creekmore's said...

Great ideas! Where did you get the different color vinyl? I can get black, white and brown for my Cricut, but haven't seen other colors that were adhesive.

Creekmore's said...

Thanks for the info! I'll be heading to Lowe's this week!

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails