4.08.2009

What Have You Done?

I found this bloggy game on The Minimalist Mommy. You highlight/bold the items on the list you have done. This seemed apropos considering today is my 29th birthday (Happy Birthday to ME!). Last year at this time I was in a pretty deep funk: I was unable to drive because of having a grand mal seizure, was in constant fear of having another one (which I did, but the anti-epileptics seem to be working), and was completely stressed about my impending orals for my Master’s degree (which I passed with Distinction, thankyouverymuch). I wasn’t really thinking about goals and wish lists; I was simply stumbling through each day, counting down days until these obstacles would be over.

But that’s over. Though I have now been diagnosed with epilepsy, it’s been easily controlled with medication. My Master’s led to the opportunity to teach a college course through the local community college. I took on a leadership role with the Writing Project, and loving working on that side of education. We are getting really close financially to being able to build our dream home, something I thought was truly just a dream. And best of all, Kyle and I will soon celebrate anniversary number six. Life is good, and I’m looking forward to what 29 has to offer.

But back to the point of this post. Some of these things are completely random, and I’m not sure I even want to do them, but it’s still a neat exercise. So here’s what I’ve done:

1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars

3. Played in a band ….at school
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland /world
8. Climbed a mountain

9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo (second grade Country Music showcase…love those elementary units of study)
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (during Hurricane Erin while on the Big Red Boat)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning (Senior Prom…thanks Jimmy Kelly’s)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty

18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (in teaching we call them “mental health days”)
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice

28. Seen a total eclipse
29. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise (see #13)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (well, they were from England and I’ve been to England…)
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelos David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance (that 1st seizure brought all kinds of drama with it)
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling

52. Kissed in the rain (somewhere in our 11 years I’m sure we have)
53. Played in the mud (hello church camp shaving cream fights!)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (what was it called, Shyla, Shoezy Q or something?)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen (our church does the Room in the Inn program)
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favourite childhood toy (Corduroy now belongs to Avery)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London (sort of….we saw the change at the Tower of London, and the parade leading to the change at Buckingham, but couldn’t get close enough to see the actual changing there)
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book (does an article in a scholarly journal count?)
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car (I still love my Mustang, even if the car seat takes away a little from its coolness factor)
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (schools in my area put EVERYTHING in the paper to get some good publicity)
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person (three times now, though I have never found it the least impressive. Sorry Davey Crockett)

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day (I’m an English teacher, people. Of course I have!)

Wow—that’s more from the list than I expected. So what have you done? If you decide to play along leave me a comment so I can check out your list!

5 comments:

The Lucky Mrs. T said...

Over from SITS.
Happy Birthday - and teachers Rock!

Valerie said...

Fun post! I think one of the things you should try to mark off your list is 'seeing the Grand Canyon.' I wasn't thrilled that we were going there initially, but it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.... and I can't wait to go back with my family one day.
I think your 29th year will be awesome!!!

I am Harriet said...

great list!
Stopping by from SITS to say hello!
Have a great day!

Suz said...

Hey! Hope you have had a wonderful break! What a great idea, neat to see what you have done and then to look at what you want to accomplish.
Have a good Easter!

Anonymous said...

Perfect!Great! This helped so much! I've seen a few
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up some confusion I had.

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails