11.06.2008

Pumpkins in the Classroom

I think I promised a while ago to post how my kids used pumpkins in an assignment for my AP English class. So here it is.

The assignment: to decorate a pumpkin to look like a character from a piece of literature. They could use anything they wanted to make that happen, but no carving was allowed (we didn't want them getting yucky after a week on display).

The purpose: um, I should probably come up with some State Performance Indicators that this fulfills or something, but really it was just for fun. Students and faculty could vote for their favorite, and one of the clubs at school matched each vote with a donation to the new library in our town.

The result: my favorite part! They all turned out sooo cute. I have a favorite, but I'll keep that to myself in case one of my kiddos should find my blog. The mythological ones are from my friends' World Studies class.


Mercury


Poseidon -- this was the vote winner


Dr. Jekyll...and Mr. Hyde


Mean Wicked Witch of the West

Cute Wicked Witch of the West

Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven"

Pinnochio

Brother and Sister Bear

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

"The Cask of Amontillado"
Isn't that fun! I hope to make it a yearly event for at least my AP class. But now it's back to rhetorical analysis and critical essays. Which I actually find pretty fun. I know.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, what a cool assignment! I don't think my English teacher ever gave assignments that fun... it's been too long ago to remember.
What was A for Halloween? Would love to see pics!!!

Kirstie says..... said...

I LOVE the Hungry Caterpillar!

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails