9.27.2008

Crafts on the Cheap

This week has been a little chaotic, with neurologist appointments, a husband out of town for business, frantically trying to meet my deadline on the playhouse and many meetings at school. Oh, and getting Avery and Tucker (the dog) up ready and out of the house every morning. Whew! Never mind I was without my laptop since I let my husband take it on his trip. Needless to say, not much crafting happened. And actually, the only reason I'm even able to blog right now is that Avery is so worn out from the week that she fell back asleep for a nap at 10 am instead of her usual 2:30. Anyway, the result of all of that is a project I completed a while back but never got around to writing about. It's simple and super cheap. Enjoy!


Part of my DIY nature is my excitement over a great deal. I see things I love, and make them rather than pay a fortune for them. I'm not a thifter or a garage saler, and I've never been to a consignment sale, as I'm not really into used things, but even shopping retail I try to make my dollar go as far as it can. This is especially important when it cmes to things I don't really need.


So this summer I was at one of my favorites, the Dollar Tree. They've really upped the quality of their merchandise over the years, which is important to me. What goodis a deal if it falls apart? On this trip I bought a pack of four cork tiles and a package of scrapbooking embellishment.

1. I started by using masking tape to make the four tiles one.


2. Some scrap ribbon hot glued in a criss cross pattern will create a French memo board. You often see these made of fabric, but I like it being on the cork so I have the option of tucking or tacking things to the board. I taped the ribbon to the front to keep it in place as I flipped it over to glue it in place.


3. Two long piece of ribbon and four shorter ones create a nice series of intersections to hold whatever.

4. A few Dollar Tree embellishments and brads from my stash add some interest.

And here's the finished project hanging in my office/craft space/entrance to the playroom. I have a hutch on my desk meant to house a computer beneath it, but I don't need a computer in there often, and when I do I can take my laptop in there, so a little board to tack up ideas is mch more practical for me. And the cost? $2.

3 comments:

Pennies In My Pocket said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! Thanks so much for coming over and droppin' a line so that I could wander over here!

I SO need a message board. Badly. This looks easy enough and SUPER cute!!!

~melody~

mydogumentary said...

That is so cute! I think I like the cork showing! Very creative!

Kimberly said...

I just love all your clever ideas!! You are really crafty-wanna come to my house and help me out? :)

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails