9.16.2008

Altered Office Suplies

Seen one of these before? A plain Jane set of rolling plastic office drawers (do they have another name?). This set is one I've had since college, acquired back when I thought I might actually use all of my scrapbooking supplies for scrapbooking. As I've been trying to get my office/craft area decluttered and pretty, this plastic thing in the middle of the room has bothered me more and more. Last weekend I'd had enough and decided to bring out the Modge Podge.

Suprisingly, I'd never actually owned Modge Podge before, and really had never seen the big deal about decoupage, but the main thing is that it is glue that dries without being sticky.


To begin the transformation I started with four different 12" x 12" papers (I loooove paper!). I chose three black and white graphics and a green that matches the walls. I wanted the diamond graphic to have more black than white, so I coloed in some of the design with a marker. It was an easy way to get the look I was after. Find an eager toddler to help you cut the paper to size. I have no idea what size I made these; I simply placed the paper on the drawer and made a mark where I needed the cut. (And don't worry: I helped her work the cutter, so no little fingers were at risk.)



Next cover one of the drawers with a think coat of Modge Podge. Get it into all of the crevices, and don't worry about getting too much--it dries clear.


Then place one of your pre-cut papers onto the drawer front. Push it up inside the plastic lip and press down firmly. If your drawer has a indentation like mine you might consider cutting the paper a little wide to compensate. It didn't occur to me until after the fact.


Finish by covering the whole front with an ample amount of the Modge Podge to seal and protect it. Pay special attention to the edges, as you want to be certain they don't lift.

I added some black grosgrain ribbon to the handles to finish everything off. Not including drying time, the whole project took about 40 minutes. It fits into my decor much better now, and I really like the look. What have you decoupaged lately? I have 3/4 of a bottle of Modge Podge left that I need to do something with!

15 comments:

Stacie said...

This is a great idea. I've got a couple rolling bins in my office that stick out like a sore thumb. Your post really has me thinking what I might be able to add to mine. The last thing I decoupaged was wooden letters to hang above my daughters crib.
Congrats on being saucy!

Aubrey said...

OMGosh! That is a great idea! I have heard of the modge podge phenom too but haven't played with it yet. BUT, I bought 2 plain white kids chairs for my toddler that I might try it on.

Coming over from SITS. Congrats on your saucy week!

Hairline Fracture said...

Awesome idea! I've never used modge podge before but now I know how.

I found you on SITS too. I love finding new (to me) blogs there!

Kaycee said...

Ohh! That is such a great idea! I've been looking for something to jazz mine up. I have about 3 for all of my HairBow making supplies :)Thanks!!

Ginny said...

That came out really cool. I have a big tower one for all my scrapbooking stuff. I really should do that.

mydogumentary said...

That is so cute! And it looks super easy too!

Brenda Jean said...

I CANNOT believe you made that plain cart look so cool! I would have never thought of that. You are one crafty and saucy person:)

Dee said...

Great idea, I have a lot of these type of draws, so I will be busy.

Brooke and Eric Sanders said...

I am SO buying a can of Modge podge and going to town on my "plain jaine office drawers"! What a great idea! Thanks!

PS--I too found you on SITS. Congrats!

momto1 said...

What a clever idea!

Melodie said...

Great idea! Looks awesome! I have a few of these things in my house... I may have to work on making them more stylish.

Xazmin said...

Oh,I love it! Thanks for linking up.

It turned out so cute...I love mod podge!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Can I copy you?! I LOVE THIS! I have the same exact rolling cart and can see it looking so much cuter with some fun paper. Thanks so much for sharing this idea!!

amybluestar said...

Very very fun! I love it when people use old surfaces. That's the best!

Amy
http://www.modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Wow so cool and so much better as the after version! I'd never had dared to mod podge plastic!

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails