7.09.2008

I've Never Really Been One to Settle

Because I have been creating longer than I have been blogging, these first posts will largely be of past projects that I still love. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I agonized over getting every detail of her nursery just right. Her room is done in red and black and cream dragonflies and butterflies, and finding children's art in those colors proved difficult. But one Sunday I was studying the sales paper for a local craft store and saw this stamp from Stampendous:

It was perfect, except that the stamp is about 4" square--not the size I needed to fill the space above the changing table. Not being one to be deterred by what something is instead of what it could be, however, I set out to make it work. So this is what I did.

1. I stamped the image onto paper and then made a copy of it onto an overhead transparency sheet. (The ones I had at school are meant for copiers, not printers, and I was afraid it would smudge if I stamped directly onto the acetate.)

2. Next I used masking tape to hang a pre-painted canvas on the wall. It took a few tries to get it level, but after that it was surprisingly stable.

3. I projected the stamped image onto the canvas, adjusted it to the size I wanted, and sketched the outline and major parts of the design with pencil.

4. Then I filled in the lines and added details with craft paints.

Voila!


I was so proud of myself for coming up with a way to create custom artwork, without having to be overly artistic. You could do this with any stamp(s), or with any image period, for that matter.






1 comments:

Jodee said...

What a cute little idea! I just found your site from Creative Party and Showers- cute party! All your craft stuff is so cute! I think I will have to do a couple of them! Thanks for Sharin!

Add to Any Share/Save Button

Related Posts with Thumbnails